NPS Wilderness Detailed
As only God can make a tree, only Congress can make designated wilderness. Yet, as detailed on these pages, the President and federal land management agencies have a vital role to play.
The enactment of the Wilderness Act on September 3, 1964 began a process that is ongoing. On this page –
- Look at Wilderness Laws governing national park lands;
- Examine the wilderness process leading from suitability to recommended to final designation;
- View Wilderness Recommendations made to Congress that have languished for years;
- See NPS proposals for wilderness never forwarded to the Secretary or Congress;
- Scan the Park-by-Park Wilderness Database for every park unit.