With the continued paving over of its dwindling habitat, the panther is falling prey to motor vehicles in alarming numbers.
The below tally is from the Conservancy of Southwest Florida, compiled from data collected by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Panther Road Mortalities2010 Road mortalities
- 03/11/10 UCFP, female, 3 year old, Corkscrew Rd. near Marsh trailhead
- 03/16/10 FP174, male, 4-5 year old, I-75 MM 95 (Belle Meade west of crossings)
- 04/15/10 UCFP140, male, 1.5-2 year old, I-75 MM117, Bonita Springs, Terry Rd.
- 04/28/10 UCFP141 (K), female, 6-8 months, Church Rd. in Hendry County, 6 miles W of Felda, N of 82 and W of 29
- 05/03/10 UCFP142 (K), female, ~8 months, Golden Gate Estates, Golden Gate Blvd., between 5th and 7th St. NE
- 05/21/10 FP169, male, ~5 year old, US41 within Big Cypress National Preserve boundaries, 4km W of SR94
- 05/22/10 FP158, female, ~5 year old (had Kittens ~7 weeks old, never found), US41 0.5 miles E of SR92
- 05/23/10 UCFP143 (K), female, ~6-8 months, US41 1.4 E of 951 near Manatee School
- 05/31/10 UCFP144, male, 1 year, CR833, Hendry County, 0.4 N of CR832
- 06/24/10 UCFP145, male, 16-18 months old, SR29 ~3.7 km S of Farmworkers Village in Collier County
- 01/11 UCFP115, male, 4 year old, Hendry County East of OK Slough
- 01/17 K253, male, 1.5-2.5 year old, Eastbound exit ramp I-75 & SR-29
- 01/20 UCFP116, female, 4-5 year old, 3 miles S of Immokalee on SR-29
- 03/25 UCFP118, male, 1.5 year old, Treeline Ave. between Terminal Access Rd. and Daniels Parkway around 10pm
- 04/09 UCFP119, female, 2-3 year old, US 41 near Turner River
- 05/14 UCFP121, male, 1-2 year old, SR29 Big Cypress Preserve, 4 miles South of I-75
- 05/25 UCFP122, male, 1.5 year old, intersection of Immokalee Rd. and Camp Keais Rd.
- 08/05 UCFP124, male, 1.5 year old, I-75 milemarker 90 in a fenced area
- 09/06 UCFP125, female, 2 year old, I-75 milemarker 96.5
- 10/19 UCFP129 (kitten), male, 3-4 months old, CR846 2 mile East of Immokalee
- 10/21 UCFP130, female, 3-4 year old, Mother of UCFP129, same location
- 11/01 UCFP131 (kitten), female, 3-4 month old, Hendry County Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation
- 11/19 UCFP132, Osceola City, Florida Turnpike, ?vehicle, decapitated
- 12/17 UCFP133, male, 3-4 year old, Broward City near Snake Rd. off of I-75
- 12/23 UCFP134, male, 3 year old, Corkscrew Rd. near CREW Gate 5
- 12/29 UCFP135, female, 4 year old, SR29 2 miles North of Jerome
- 12/31 UCFP136 (kitten), female, 3-4 month, County Barn Rd. 0.3 miles South of Davis Blvd.
Total: 24 mortalities, including 17 road mortalities2008 Road mortalities
- 03/10 Logan & Collier Blvd.
- 04/12 SR-29 between Copeland and E Trail 41
- 05/23 Female, Silver Lakes Resort S of 41 on 951
- 07/29 Female, Immokalee Rd. 2 miles E of Oil Well Grade
- 10/24 UCFP111, 8 months old, SR-29 N of Oil Well Rd.
- 11/04 Male, 2-3 years old, SR-80 in Hendry County
- 11/26 Uncollared, Male, 4-5 years old, Alico/Devore
- 11/29 Female, 4 year old, Oil Well Rd. 1 mile E of Camp Keais Rd.
Total: 23 mortalities, including 10 road mortalities2007 Road mortalities
- 01/24 CR832 Ok Slough/Keri Rd.
- 03/10 CR832 Ok Slough/Keri Rd.
- 03/21 I-4 in Orange County
- 03/29 US-41 W of SR-29/US-41 intersection
- 03/30 I-75 mile marker 123-124 just north of Corkscrew exit
- 04/03 2 miles E of I-75 toll booth
- 05/ Lakeland Polk County
- 05/08 Miami-Dade County
- 05/14 0.5 mile E of Alico at Corkscrew
- 06/11 SR-29 S of I-75, S of Jerome, close to Xing (second panther to be hit between the fences on this particular underpass)
- 06/25 SR-82 between Gunnery Rd. and Sunshine Rd.
- 06/25 2 miles S of Immokalee on SR-29
- 06/25 Ok Slough/Keri Rd.
- 06/26 US-41 1 mile of Krome Ave.
- 09/12 E of SR-29 on I-75