Raising more than $1M annually, PEER primarily focuses on funding from three streams: private foundation grants bringing in close to 700K, individual donor contributions from a donor base of about 600 members, and awards received as part of legal settlements.
The Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for the development and implementation of a short-range and long-range strategy for raising funds to support PEER’s programs, with a particular focus on building out the annual giving donor base and foundations giving program. They will also be responsible for leading the integration of organizational messaging in compelling donor-centric communications.
The Director of Development and Communications will report to Timothy Whitehouse, PEER Executive Director, and will oversee a development team of two staff. This position can be based anywhere in the United States. PEER supports fully remote work.
In the first three months, the Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for conducting an assessment of the fundraising program and presenting recommendations for new goal setting and achievement.
- Design and implement a robust development strategy that maintains and broadens PEER’s financial support from individuals and foundations to achieve strategic goals.
- Assume a leadership role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new and existing donors to deepen and nurture relationships.
- Create and execute a strategy for an expanded, sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Drive the strategy for identifying and pursuing new private foundation funding.
- Manage and oversee 2 direct reports responsible for contributing to communications and private grants efforts.
- Work with the Executive Director and staff to develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance PEER’s mission and broaden awareness across key stakeholder audiences.
- Build and manage relationships with the media and other key entities to advance the organization’s priorities.
- Drive donor-centric branding, messaging, and visibility to deepen engagement with the organization’s supporters.
- Work with staff to identify internal and external communications opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Develop and manage communications and media outreach strategy, policy, and campaigns with print, online, electronic, and broadcast media to enhance the visibility and awareness of the issues facing public employees who work to protect the environment.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in development and communications, ideally with environmental or advocacy organizations, or other constituencies without a natural donor base
- Demonstrated success managing and growing an annual giving program
- Demonstrated ability to identify and develop donor pipelines; experience with budgets, reporting tools, and best practices as they relate to operational systems
- Demonstrated ability to manage development staff and oversee operations
- Effective and compelling communication style
- Self-directed, motivated and entrepreneurial
- A deep commitment to PEER’s mission of supporting protecting public employees who protect our environment, natural resources and public health.